Monday, July 4, 2011

Snickery Crispy Cookie "Balls"

Snickery Crispy Cookie Balls - made July 2, 2011 from No-Bake Cookies by Camilla V. Saulsbury (book #133)


This is another one of those baking books where I wonder what was I thinking when I bought it.  Not that there's anything wrong with the cookbook itself but I usually don't really like "no-bake" anything.  I'm a baker.  I like to bake.  And to me, that means - you know - baking.  As in mixing ingredients together, putting them on cookie sheets or pouring into pans and actually baking them in the oven.  Most of the no-bake stuff I've tried tends to be overly sweet and is really just mixing up ingredients together so you're eating the same thing but just mixed up together.  There's no chemical or heat process to make the ingredients greater than the sum of its parts. 

The only exception is rice krispie treats.  And technically, while it's not baking, you still melt the marshmallows to get a different texture in the finished product than in the "raw" product.  Not surprisingly, the recipe I chose to try from this cookbook looks like it's just rice krispie treats with Snickers added in.  Nothing wrong with that.  A recipe like this also has the added advantage in the summertime that if you don't want to add to the heat in your house, there's no need to turn on your oven.  You only need to turn on the stove for the brief amount of time you need to melt the butter and marshmallows.

I made these while visiting my sister and my nieces and it was triple digit temperatures.  I definitely was not going to bake in that kind of heat, even though they did have air conditioning.  My energy-conserving nature balks at the idea of turning on one appliance to cool the house while turning on another that adds heat to it.  I guess this is where "no-bake" comes in handy.


You'll notice from the pictures that these are actually squares and not "balls" like the original title would have them be.  I honestly did try to do as the recipe directed and make them into balls.  One failed attempt with sticky hands later, I gave up.  Yet another thing I don't want to tackle when it's summertime-hot.  Patting the mixture into a 9 x 13 pan, smoothing the top and cutting into squares takes far less time and tastes the same.  Oh and I was right - these are just rice krispie treats with a Snickers add-in.  I was generous with the Snickers and doubled the amount the recipe calls for.  Can't have too many Snickers.  And as simple as this recipe is, it's perfect for large crowds (you can easily double or triple the batch) in case you need something to bring to a 4th of July picnic or barbecue at the last minute and does well in hot weather but not in humidity.  The Rice Krispies will soften too quickly as I discovered the last time I made these in the Philippines.  But hot, dry weather is fine.  Happy 4th of July!
 
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 10-ounce bag miniature marshmallows
2 2.15-ounce bars chocolate-covered caramel & nougat candy bars (Snickers)
6 cups crisp rice cereal

1.   Melt butter over medium-low heat in 4-quart saucepan. Stir in marshmallows until melted.  Remove from heat; stir in candy bars and cereal until blended.
2.   Shape mixture into 1-inch balls with buttered hands. Place on waxed paper. Store in airtight containers between sheets of waxed paper.
”Cast

2 comments:

  1. I might not be able to stop eating these if i made them lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for visiting Cast Party Wednesday and I hope you join me again tomorrow and share more of your great recipes!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete