bake sale but I didn't love these. I mean, they were fine, taste-wise and all, and I'm glad I tried them out. But after 7 cookie doughs and 4 pans of brownies and bar cookies, I have to admit my taste bar was a little high that day. A "really good" brownie on a different day might've just been "eh, they're okay" on that particular marathon baking day. Especially since this was another one that I confess I barely tasted from the sliver I cut from it.
Red Velvet Brownies
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 8 x 8 pan with nonstick foil or regular foil. Grease regular foil with cooking spray if using.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder, food coloring and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla to form a paste. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then add second teaspoon of vanilla. With mixer on medium, beat in cocoa paste. Add flour and salt, and mix just until combined.
- Spread in pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
1/2 package Oreos, finely crushed
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Combine crushed Oreos and cream cheese and beat until blended smooth. Spread over cooled brownies.
1 cup semisweet chocolate, melted
Mini chocolate chips
- Spread melted chocolate over oreo truffle layer, smoothing into an even layer. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and let set. Cut into squares when cool.