Monday, March 4, 2024

Dark and White Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Caprial Pence

Dark and White Chocolate Chunk Cookies - made dough February 15, 2024 from Caprial's Desserts by Caprial Pence
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 cup chopped white chocolate
3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
  1. Place melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed, until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl to keep mixture even textured.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing on low speed, until just combined.
  3. Add flour, baking soda and salt, mixing on low speed, until just combined and no floury streaks remain,
  4. Fold in bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate and pecans, mixing until evenly disbursed. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. 
Every once in awhile I have to remind myself that there are people out there who like thin, crispy cookies. I'm not one of them but they do exist. In which case, I inadvertently stumbled on a recipe for them.
I've had this dessert book by Caprial Pence for awhile and I periodically leaf through it to see if there's a recipe I want to try. I'd just gotten some white chocolate chunks so it seemed like it was the right time to try this recipe.
The dough was soft and sticky which was my first warning these would probably spread thin. I froze the dough balls before baking but to no avail. These spread so much I couldn't even use the swirling trick to get them inside my largest round cookie cutter to neaten the edges . I hadn't made the dough balls that big either. Sigh.

However, they weren't a total failure as the flavor was quite good. And again, if you like thin, crispy cookies, bake them a little longer than I did to get a more even crispness and you have a winner.



No comments:

Post a Comment