Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Stamped Cookies #37 from My Gorgeous Recipes

Stamped Cookies #37 - made dough March 1, 2024 from My Gorgeous Recipes
100 grams unsalted butter, softened
100 grams granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
250 grams plain flour (all-purpose flour)
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until combined. 
  2. Add egg, vanilla extract and lemon extract; beat until just combined. 
  3. On low speed, add flour in two additions, mixing until just combined and no floury streaks remain.
  4. Scrape out dough onto a large piece of parchment paper. Cover with another large piece of parchment paper and, with a plain rolling pin, roll to 1/3" thickness if using an embossed rolling pin or 1/4" if using cookie stamps. Keep covered and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  5. Remove from refrigerator and remove top piece of parchment paper. Lightly dust with powdered sugar. Roll with embossed rolling pin or press and cut out with cookie stamps.
  6. Freeze stamped cookies, covered, for at least 1 hour.
  7. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  8. Evenly space stamped cookies and bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

I love, love using my Sanrio stamps. Yes, I’m a grown-ass adult but I still love me some cute stamped cookies. Although Hello Kitty is arguably the most popular and well known in the Sanrio portfolio, Little Twin Stars was my childhood favorite. My Melody is cute too and I learned all about Pusheen from a fellow adult Sanrio fan a decade ago. I like the look of Kuromi as well. Sorry though as for the life of me, I think the dog is Pochacco (?) but I don’t remember the frog’s name. (Keroppi?)

The beauty about this particular set of cookie stamps is they’re not too finely detailed but still turn out recognizable stamped cookies. I like using them to test out a stamped cookie recipe in case a stamp with finer details fails. Then I also test out stamps with finer details to see how the same recipe holds up. Either way I hedge my bets to end up with good baked stamped impressions.

As you can see from the pictures, I’m happy to say this recipe worked really well to deliver the stamped impressions faithfully after baking, both with the Sanrio stamps and the more detailed Anis Paradies cookie stamps. 

Flavor-wise, these are also good butter cookies. Not too rich, not too buttery and not too sweet. But also not too bland, which is sometimes a challenge with stamped cookie recipes as some of them use so much flour and cornstarch to hold the impressions that they lose flavor. I do recommend using real vanilla extract (none of that imitation stuff). The original recipe says to use lemon extract for the flavoring but I was giving most of these to my cousins, one of whom was 7 years old and I didn’t know how she felt about lemon flavor. She’s a self-proclaimed vanilla lover so I just doubled down on the vanilla extract to play it safe. Fortunately it worked out and she loved the cute little cookies. Even if you’re not 7 years old, give these a whirl to try out your cookie stamps. 
Side note: I got the Sanrio cookie stamps from Amazon and the Anis Paradies stamps from Kitchen Vixen and Gingerhaus on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment