Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Supersized, Super-Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies from King Arthur Flour

Supersized, Super-Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough February 1, 2024 from King Arthur Flour

I got this recipe from the King Arthur catalog but you can also find it online from their website. The recipe has more steps than your average cookie recipe so I just posted the screenshot rather than typing it out. Yes, I got a case of the lazies.
What makes this different from your typical chocolate chip recipe is the use of the tangzhong. Before that term freaks you out or makes this recipe sound hard, it’s simply cooking a portion of the flour with milk before adding it to the rest of the dough.
It’s a common technique used for making soft, fluffy milk bread, a hallmark of Asian bread which I love. In the case of chocolate chip cookies, presumably it makes it “super-soft” as the name proclaims. 
I’ve made so many chocolate chip cookie recipes in my lifetime that I’m always intrigued by a new way to make it and willing to give it a try. Which I did.
Since the cookies are meant to be super-sized, so are the dough balls. I didn’t even try to make these normal sized. But it did mean they baked up pretty big, in part because they also spread a lot. You can see from the picture that the taste test cookie was as big as a saucer. 
I have mixed feelings about this cookie. It was good, no doubt about it. I prefer my chocolate chip cookies to be crisp at the edges and chewy in the middle, not to mention buttery with brown sugar caramelized flavor. Which this cookie had in spades. So that was all good. 

My only reservations are because this baked big and spread big, by the time the middle was no longer raw but still slightly underdone (which is how I like them), the edges had baked to where they weren’t just crisp at the outer edges but rather crunchy almost a third into the center of the cookie. Good but not my first preference. The “super soft” part only really describes the middle of the cookie, not the outer edge. If I make these again, I would probably make them smaller. Still, for the chocolate chip lovers in your life who like thinner and crunchier cookies without being completely flat, this is a good one to test on them.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment