Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Browned Butter Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not a coffee drinker. I love the smell of it and I don't mind coffee or espresso-flavored baked goods but they're not my first choice.
However, still in the "it isn't about me" category, I've heard a lot of deployed military service members do like coffee and rely on the caffeine kick to get them through many a long shift.  
So I made these espresso chocolate chip cookies as a variation on the standard chocolate chip cookies I tend to send most often.
These came out pretty tasty with a nice espresso flavor to them that paired well with the chocolate chips. Just make sure you let the browned butter cool enough such that the eggs don't cook/scramble into your dough when you add them. I err on the side of caution, let the browned butter cool for at least 5-10 minutes then add the (cold) eggs straight from the refrigerator.

The discerning among you will also notice that, no matter which cookie recipe I post, I rewrite the directions to do them "my way". Which is typically to make the dough, portion into dough balls, freeze them then bake them from frozen dough. You don't have to do it my way but this is what I've found works best for me to get thicker cookies. Plus, unless you're baking for care packages or a crowd like I often do, it's great portion control to be able to bake just one cookie at a time when you feel like it. Freshly baked cookies will always only be 10-15 minutes away if you always have a stash of cookie dough balls in the freezer.
3/4 cup butter, melted, browned and cooled slightly
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
  1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together browned butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined and no lumps remain. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract; stir to combine.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together salt, flour, espresso powder and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir to combine; do not overmix.
  3. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls; cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Do not overbake. Remove from oven, let rest on baking sheets for several minutes then remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment