Sunday, February 28, 2021

Wunderkeks - "wunderful" cookies

Wunderkeks - bought February 3, 2021

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie

One of the things I miss most during the past year of quarantines and shut downs is traveling. Whether I stayed local, within the country or flew internationally, I loved exploring new places and, of course, trying out new places to eat, especially bakeries.
I haven't been able to do that (thanks, Covid) but even worse than my first-world problem is the impact to small businesses and the decrease in their in-store foot traffic plus fewer orders as people have lost their jobs and can't afford their goods or services anymore. Small businesses have also had to let go of their employees because business is down and people who've lost jobs can't patronize those businesses either; the downward spiral goes on.
So, since I've been fortunate enough to get a job during this pandemic, I devote part of my earnings to supporting those small businesses. I don't really need "stuff" but I can always eat consumables, especially cookies. I make a point of searching out the ones I can order from online, trying them out and whenever I can, spreading the word so other people can discover them too.
Thus I discovered Wunderkeks, a bakery located in Austin, TX. It was the pictures of their cookies on their website that drew me in. Click on the post title, go to their website and you'll see what I mean.
I ordered the Greatest Hits variety pack which comes with 3 flavors of 4 cookies each so it's an even dozen. The cookies are individually wrapped as you see above and come in a sturdy decorative box. Kudos on the packaging as well as the two-day shipping; I literally got the cookies 2 days after I ordered them online.

Chocolate Chip Cookie
The cookies arrive with a card instructing the recipient to warm the cookies in the oven for 2-3 minutes before eating. Not the microwave, but the oven. Trust me, do what they say. 
Inside the Chocolate Chip Cookie

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie
These cookies were amazing. Remember, I'm a cookie snob. Years of baking my own cookies, eating them warm out of the oven and being finicky about my baked goods have turned me into said cookie snob. These cookies pass the snob test.
Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie

Inside the Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie
My favorite was the Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie which is a dark chocolate cookie with white chocolate. I don't normally like white chocolate that much but it was perfect in this cookie. The regular chocolate chip comes in a close second. The flavor and the texture were perfect.
The Everything Cookie - just out of the oven

The Everything Cookie
My least favorite was the Everything Cookie, mostly because I don't like nuts. The Everything cookie has nuts, chocolate chips and coconut then it's rolled in cinnamon sugar like a snickerdoodle. I would've preferred fewer nuts and more coconut. It was still good though and people who do like nuts in their cookies will enjoy this one.
Inside the Everything Cookie
A dozen cookies are $29.95 plus $9.95 shipping but they seem to regularly offer discount codes. I got this initial order with a 20% discount code and I put in another order to send to a friend for her birthday with a free shipping code for a dozen cookies. A check of their website today offers free shipping for 2 dozen+ cookies, no code required. But even without a discount code, if it's within your budget, these are worth full price. And you'll be supporting a small business. 
The Everything Cookie


No comments:

Post a Comment