Saturday, February 20, 2021

Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies from Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons

Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies - made October 31, 2020 from Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons

Although I said last year that I would stop trying out new recipes for chocolate chip cookies because I had found THE ONE, it turns out I lied. It also turns out that, for me, it's not actually about finding THE best recipe because, let's face it, there are plenty of great recipes for chocolate chip cookies out there. Rather, it's about (taste) testing them all and enjoying the journey rather than trying to reach the destination. 
So, even though I probably couldn't distinguish from the plethora of recipes I've made in a blind taste test, it doesn't matter as apparently I just like (taste) testing them all. Not looking for the winner but rounding up all the contestants is my jam. 
Chocolate chip cookies are what I bake most often for military care packages. I don't put nuts in my cookies so they're safe for deployed service members with nut allergies and I figure it's about as ubiquitous a "taste of home" as you can get so it's a safe bet someone will like them. Plus they pack and ship well, vacuum sealed.
This was supposed to be like Levain Bakery cookies but I don't make the cookies as big when I'm planning to ship them. I get more cookies out of a batch by making them smaller and I want to pack the box(es) full so the cookies can be shared with more service members. 
Hence these are smaller than the original blogger intended. Still tasted good though.

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12-ounce bag of chocolate chips
  1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined.
  3. Add the flour mixture in two additions and beat at low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Portion dough into balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake cookies for 15-18 minutes for large cookies, 10-12 minutes for smaller cookies or until golden brown at the edges and middles no longer look raw or shiny. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then remove to wire cooling rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment