Sunday, December 8, 2019

Maida Heatter's Brownies

Brownies - made November 19, 2019, modified from Happiness is Baking by Maida Heatter
You'll probably see me posting more brownie recipes in the coming months. Now that I'm sending care packages to deployed service members and because I don't have a food sealer (yet) I'm falling back on brownies to put in the care packages since they ship well and have a longer shelf life.
I'm also (again) trying to use the baking books I have. This one from Maida Heatter isn't how I normally make brownies. Her recipe calls for beating the eggs and sugar for 15 minutes - eeek. I never beat the batter that long after the eggs are added as that's what forms the meringue-like crust on top of brownies. I don't like crusty brownies so it was strikingly hard to follow the recipe directions and have the mixer on for so long.
But I confess, I only held out for 10 minutes then I couldn't stand it any long and stopped it there. I cheated the mixing process by 5 minutes. Not sure what difference it made, if any. The brownies came out okay, if a bit thinner than I like my brownies. And that's even after I made them in a 9 x 13 pan instead of a jelly roll pan. For the add-ins, I chopped up the last of my Halloween candy which were Hershey's cookies ' creme bars. These were okay. Can't say I loved them. They make a good, standard brownie but I think I'd prefer some of my other recipes for thicker, richer, more fudgy brownies. Like Ultimate Fudge Brownies, Essence of Chocolate Squares or Forever Brownies.
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon instant espresso or coffee powder
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (I used vanilla extract)
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
10 ounces walnut halves or pieces, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13" baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Melt the chocolate and butter in the top half of a double boiler set over hot water, whisking until smooth, melted and combined. Add instant coffee or espresso powder and whisk until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs and salt until slightly fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and beat at medium high speed for 15 minutes, until the mixture forms a ribbon when the beater is raised. Add the vanilla and almond extract to the melted chocolate mixture.
  4. On low speed, add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, beating only until just combined.
  5. On low speed, add the flour and beat until just combined. Fold in the nuts, handling the mixture as little as possible.
  6. Pour into prepared pan and spread smooth. Place in oven and immediately reduce heat to 400 degrees. Bake for 21 to 22 minutes. Test with a toothpick; it should come out with a few moist crumbs. Do not overbake.

No comments:

Post a Comment