Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Oatmeal Spice Muffins

Oatmeal Spice Muffins - made November 18, 2019 from Five Heart Home
I baked these muffins due to a conversation I had with my sister.
Her: I'm going to bake muffins for my office mates because they helped me move.
Me (pause, remembering she burned slice and bake cookies when we were kids): Do you know how?
Her: No.
Me: Do you want me to bake them?
Her: Oh, would you?

Okay, even she admitted that was a little passive aggressive. Not to mention predictably easy to get me to bake. Not just because I like to bake but because my sister can cook but she can't bake. She just can't. So, you're welcome, helpful office mates.

I usually don't make muffins but she wanted something "healthy" and we all know muffins pretend to be a healthy alternative to cupcakes. Pretense gets kicked up a notch when you make oatmeal muffins.
These actually turned out pretty well. I wouldn't consider them super healthy but they did have a nice crumb and texture. And they weren't too sweet. You can kick up the sweetness a notch by sprinkling coarse sugar generously over the tops before baking but otherwise, this makes a good breakfast muffin. I only made a half recipe and used paper liners larger than the standard cupcake size so I only got 8 muffins out of the half recipe.

2 cups rolled oats, not quick-cooking oats
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

  1. In a large bowl, stir together oats and buttermilk. Let sit at room temperature for 30 - 60 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. 
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together; set aside.
  4. Once oats have finished soaking, stir in brown sugar and eggs into mixture. Mix in melted butter and vanilla. Blend in flour mixture.
  5. Evenly divide batter between prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops of muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool muffins in pans for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment