Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Valentine Cookies

Chocolate Peanut Butter Valentine Cookies - made February 10, 2010, recipe adapted from the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Kiss Cookies (click on title to go to original recipe)

These are just an adaptation of the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Kiss Cookies I've been making for years.  I make these for my dessert party during the holidays and no matter how many other treats I've made or how many new offerings I have, there's also someone who declares the Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies their favorite.  I put a little twist on my usual recipe though and instead of peanut butter, I substituted Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter that I found on amazon.  It's essentially dark chocolate and peanut butter combined.  However, using it in the cookie dough somewhat nullified the chocolate so it didn't come out as chocolaty as I had hoped.  But it still tasted pretty good.  For more of a chocolate punch, I would probably add a bit of dark chocolate cocoa powder, decreasing the amount of flour by the same amount of cocoa powder you add in.  Start off with a couple of tablespoons as the swap and see how you like it.

And again, if you need a Valentine-themed treat at the last minute, instead of using Hershey kisses as the topper, swap in peanut butter hearts (the Valentine version of Reese's peanut butter cups).  They went nicely with the cookies and, schmaltzy as it might be, I liked the cuteness factor when presenting a plate of these.  I took them into work and they went pretty fast.

½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup dark chocolate peanut butter
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons granulated sugar (for rolling)
Peanut-butter-filled chocolate hearts or Hershey kisses or peanut butter cups

1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, egg, vanilla and salt until light and fluffy.
3. Add flour and baking soda, beating until thoroughly blended.
4. Shape dough into 48 balls, using a rounded teaspoon for each. Roll balls into 3 tablespoons granulated sugar.
5. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light golden. Immediately top each cookie with a candy kiss, carefully pressing down firmly.
6. Remove cooks from baking sheets, cool on racks. Makes 48 (1 ¾”) cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment