Sunday, February 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Slow Cooker Pot Roast - made February 9, 2012 from Bubble Crumb

Back in early January, in my renewed promise to myself to cook more and eat out less, I went to Costco to buy the main meal ingredients I planned to cook with: pot roast, chicken breasts, pork chops and shrimp.  Throw in my baking staples like butter, eggs, sugar and flour and "somehow" I walked out having spent almost my entire grocery budget for the month with 27 days left in January to go - yikes. Fortunately, I underestimated just how far anything I buy at Costco actually goes.  Case in point, thank goodness for my freezer because I'm still eating what I bought from that early January trip.

What I've done with all of the savory dishes I've posted this year is divided them into individual sizes (real individual sizes, not restaurant portions), placed each serving in small tupperware containers and put them in the freezer.  During the week, I take out a couple a day to thaw out and have one for lunch and one for dinner.  It takes all the work out of cooking during the week and I rotate between the dishes I've made so I don't eat the same thing twice in a day.  This recipe uses up the chuck roast I bought and, 6 weeks after that Costco run, I still have a dozen mini meals in the freezer, half a pack of shrimp, some chicken breasts and half a package of beef left to see me through February.  Whew.

I modified this recipe from Bubble Crumb.  Past experience with crock pot cooking has taught me no matter what I make, the resulting sauce comes out watery.  So I only used 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and half a can of water.  I omitted the mushrooms because I don't like them but the rest of the recipe I kept the same.  Sure enough, it was still thinly soupy but I thickened it with a good spoonful of cornstarch mixed with a little water to make a paste.  If pot roast is your comfort food, this is standard fare and similar to the pot roast I remember my mom making when I was growing up.  What I like about it is I could let it cook in the crock pot until it was literally fork tender and not have to worry about it becoming dry.  And I mean plastic-fork tender. 

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1/2 can water
basket of baby portabella mushrooms cut in half, optional (I left them out)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tabelspoons Worcestershire
5 1/2 pounds pot roast
salt & pepper to taste

Brown and sear meat (you can skip this step if you wish - I did).  Place in slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients and pour over pot roast.  Cook on low for 6 hours or until tender.

1 comment: