Friday, February 22, 2013

Chewy Brownies - crunch-ized

Chewy Brownies - made February 16, 2013 from Treats Truck Baking Book by Kim Ima

This brownie is signified by a small world moment I had on my New Orleans trip last month.  In chatting with one of the couples on the tour, one of them, Craig, mentioned that his cousin Kim had a treats truck business (think of a food truck that sells sweets) and had even written a baking book.  It rang a bell in my mind and sure enough, it turns out that I had Kim's Treats Truck cookbook in my baking book arsenal, thanks to one of my friends who had given it to me for a birthday gift.  What a cool coincidence.

I used the Chewy Brownie recipe in Kim's book to make the base for these brownies.  They came out perfectly fudgy and of course, I'm addicted to the nutella crunch topping I like to use on plain brownies.  It just adds that little extra.

3/4 cup butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 ounces dark chocolate
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Nutella Crunch Topping (click on link for recipe)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9" x 9" pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Melt the butter and chocolates in the top half of a double boiler set over hot water.  Whisk to combine.
  3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the vanilla.
  4. When the butter and chocolates are melted and whisked smooth, take it off the heat and stir in the sugar, then the eggs and vanilla/  Add the flour and cocoa powder and stir well with a spoon until smooth.
  5. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.  If desired, add the nutella crunch topping several minutes after taking the brownies out of the oven.  Let cool completely before cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment