Thursday, September 1, 2016

Outrageous Chocolate Toffee Cookies

Outrageous Chocolate Toffee Cookies - made dough July 31, 2016 from The Creekside Cook
I always like recipes that pair a word like “outrageous” with “chocolate”. “Obsession”, “Death by” and other hyperboles work as well. I’ve still got bags of toffee bits to use and I went against the grain to try this recipe for chocolate cookies that had toffee bits in them as opposed to just sprinkled on top, as with brownies.

These ended up being super dark chocolate in flavor. When I took the first bite, I wondered if I had forgotten the sugar; they were THAT dark chocolate in flavor. I think it’s because I used the “good” dark chocolate, meaning 85% Lindt dark chocolate. There is sugar in the recipe but if you don’t have much of a sweet tooth and you like dark chocolate, these cookies might be up your alley. Seriously, they’re not sweet. The addition of the toffee bits didn’t sweeten them as much as you might think either.
I don’t know that I loved the toffee bits in here. They did provide a little bit of crunch, a little bit of chewy and a little sweetness but I tend to be a purist so I think I would like these better without the toffee and just as pure unadulterated chocolate.

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used 85% Lindt), coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, tightly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (you can use semisweet, milk or white)
3/4 cup toffee bits
  1. Melt chocolate and butter in the top half of a double boiler over gently simmering water, whisking until completely melted and smooth. Cool for several minutes.
  2. Whisk flour, salt and baking powder together in a small bowl; set aside.
  3. Combine sugar, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix briefly on low speed, just until combined.
  4. Increase mixer speed to medium high and beat for about 2 minutes, until mixture is creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in chocolate mixture.
  5. Fold in flour mixture then add chocolate chips and toffee bits; do not overmix.
  6. Portion into dough balls, cover and chill or freeze several hours or overnight.
  7. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
  8. Evenly space frozen or chilled dough balls on baking sheets and bake cookies for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes on baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment