Monday, February 13, 2023

Sugar Cookies from 100 Cookies

Sugar Cookies - made dough January 20, 2023 from 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer
2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon (364 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup (2 sticks or 227 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups (350 grams) granulated sugar plus 1/2 cup for rolling
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat to combine.
  5. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
  6. Place the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls and roll each ball in the sugar. Evenly space on baking sheets. 
  7. Bake one baking sheet at a time, rotating pan halfway through baking. Bake until the sides are set and the bottoms are light golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let rest on baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. 
I'm so glad I borrowed this book because I've got to tell you, this sugar cookie recipe alone made it worthwhile. Although they came out of the oven puffy, similar to the snickerdoodles from the same book, they did deflate to flat cookies (yes, I'm still in the Flat Cookie Club).

However, these taste sooooo good. I don't know why I liked it so much but they were chewy and did I mention they're delicious?? They reminded me of the chewy sugar cookies you can buy at your favorite bakery or the baked goods section of your uppity grocery store. 
They're more chewy than cakey and the vanilla and butter flavor come through quite well, more so than the sugar. I loved them so much that it's probably a good thing I packaged up all but the taste test cookie for military care packages before I even ate the taste test cookie. Because if I had eaten the taste test cookie first, I wouldn't have stopped at one cookie like I normally do.
I baked off all the cookie dough for this one and mailed them in the care packages so I'm going to have to make these again and hold back a few next time, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment