Friday, February 17, 2023

Stamped Cookies #29 from Hayden Annika

Stamped Cookies #29 - made dough January 14, 2023, recipe from Hayden Annika
3 egg yolks, room temperature
75 grams powdered sugar
100 grams salted French butter, room temperature (I used Kerrygold) 
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
250 grams cake flour
  1. Whip yolks and sugar until pale and thick with whisk attachment of stand mixer. 
  2. Add softened butter and vanilla until well combined and smooth.
  3. Change to a paddle attachment and mix in cake flour until combined.
  4. Wrap dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Working with chilled dough, stamp cookies. Freeze stamped cookies for at least 1 hour.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space frozen stamped cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes. 

This is a picture-heavy post as you can't have too many pictures of Snoopy, right? I love these Snoopy cookie stamps. Best over-priced thing I've bought at Williams Sonoma. And it looks like they're a seasonal item as they're available again on the Williams-Sonoma website right now. 



I liked using this dough as you can see even the baked cookies kept their impressions as faithfully as I've ever seen on any of the recipes I've tried.
I didn't even need to chill the dough that long after mixing before I could stamp them easily. You can see the results above and below.

The downside, however, is these didn't have a lot of flavor. Normally, with butter cookies, you can taste - well - the butter. For some reason, not so much with these, even though I used European butter (Kerrygold), which tends to have more flavor than US butter. These cookies are also not that sweet and were a little dry, even though I didn't overbake them. 

The good news is they were soft, though not fragile. Some of the other stamped cookie recipes I've tried tend to be a little hard-crisp to eat. Not these.
What the underside should look like when the cookies are baked

On the flavor issue, for more flavor, I suggest amping up the vanilla extract or using some other flavor extract you'd prefer. I want to play with the flavoring on this one as the stamped impressions really can't be beat.
Vacuum sealed and ready for mailing

No comments:

Post a Comment