Thursday, February 23, 2023

Browned Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Handle the Heat

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and browned
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1 cup (200 grams) lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (127 grams) bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup toffee bits
  1. In a large bowl, mix together hot browned butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, bread flour, baking soda, salt, espresso powder and baking powder.
  3. To the cooled butter mixture, whisk in eggs, yolk and vanilla until combined. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, mixing with a rubber spatula. Stir in the chocolate chunks and toffee bits. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls. Cover dough balls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours but no more than 72 hours.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space cookies on baking sheets and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
I continue to try new chocolate chip cookie recipes, partly because I like including them in my military care packages for Soldiers Angels as chocolate chip cookies are one of the most requested cookies from our service members. But also partly because I just like trying new recipes for chocolate chip cookies. They're easy to make and honestly, it's hard to make them badly.

With the challenges of trying to avoid the Flat Cookie Syndrome, it's also rewarding when you flex (or don't have to flex) the recipe to get the cookies to come out as I like them.


These came out as they should so I didn't have to do any adjustments. I'll always make a note if I do. I did weigh the dry ingredients for accuracy but I also kept an eagle eye on the dough to make sure it was the consistency I wanted, not too soft and sticky and not dry or crumbly.
These were fantastic. I'm not necessarily a brown butter acolyte and I like cookies both with browned butter or with "normal" butter creamed into the mixture. But these were good as the recipe directed. Texture was also just how I like it: dense, chewy and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment