Saturday, February 4, 2023

Brown Sugar Brownies from The Ultimate Brownie Book

Brown Sugar Brownies - made January 19, 2023 from The Ultimate Brownie Book by Bruce Weinstein
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In the top half of a double boiler set over hot water, melt together butter and unsweetened chocolate, whisking until completely melted and smooth.
  4. Remove from heat and pour into mixing bowl. Add brown sugar and mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer or 6 minutes by hand until well combined and silky. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until just combined.
  5. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and let cool.
I make brownies almost every week for the care packages I send for Soldiers Angels. I almost always make my favorite brownie recipe because it bakes up thick, fudgy and rich without being too overwhelming. Plus I've made it so often that I have the recipe memorized and it takes me only a few minutes to mix it up and get it in the oven.

But I still occasionally try new recipes so I went with this one from one of my baking books. It makes a 9 x 13 pan so I also thought it would yield more brownies for more care packages. Which it did. Unfortunately it also made a thinner brownie than my go-to recipe. Don't get me wrong, this is the thickness most brownie recipes make. I just prefer them a little thicker, both as a personal preference and because they're less fragile and better for shipping that way.
These were good but a bit delicate, not quite cakey but also definitely not as dense and chewy as I prefer. Still, if you want a larger batch, this recipe works well to provide a good yield.

No comments:

Post a Comment