Monday, December 11, 2023

Coconut Mug Cake from Mildly Meandering

Coconut Mug Cake - made November 11, 2023 from Mildly Meandering
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons coconut
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon coconut emulsion or extract (I used vanilla extract)
  1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir. 
  2. Pour batter into mug and microwave for 1:30 to 2 minutes or until cooked through.
I've never really made mug cakes before or if I had, it was so long ago that I've forgotten. But I wanted to use up some milk and this seemed the easiest way. As a baker, it's almost impossible for me to let ingredients go to waste. It’s also because I was raised by first generation immigrant parents and wasting any kind of food is just.not.done. This recipe has the added advantage of not using any eggs so I didn't have to worry about halving or third-ing an egg.
This was actually quite delicious. I was pleasantly surprised by not only how easy it was to whisk together but how well it turned out. The texture reminded me of puto, the steamed Filipino vanilla cakes. But it was much easier to make.
And it was delicious. I didn't have coconut extract so I used vanilla and that worked just fine. The coconut flakes added a nice chewiness to the texture and the flavor. But I love coconut so it’s hard to go wrong with it. Mug cakes might be my new favorite thing and, at least for the moment, supplants a warm cookie when I need a sugar fix.
I made this at night so the lighting isn't the best. Which is a shame as the pictures don't do this little cake justice. If you want a warm, single serving dessert you can make in under 5 minutes, a mug cake is definitely the way to go. Just don’t cook it too long in the microwave or the texture will become rubbery. Err on the side of caution and put it in for less time then just pop back it in the microwave and cook 10 seconds at a time until you’re happy with the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment