Friday, December 8, 2023

Buttermilk Brownies from The Timeless Baker

Buttermilk Brownies - made November 10, 2023 from The Timeless Baker
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8 x 8 baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In the top half of a double boiler set over hot water, melt chocolate and butter, whisking until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and cool for several minutes.
  4. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract, beating on low speed until combined.
  5. Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
  6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
December 8 is National Chocolate Brownie Day and I just happen to have been experimenting with new brownie recipes lately so I finally get to match a post with a food holiday (yay, me). 

I only ever seem to bake with buttermilk when I have to use it up after I've made my tried and true recipe for banana bread. Then it becomes a matter of trying out whatever recipes I want to make before the expiration date.
In this case, I wanted brownies for my military care packages. Buttermilk brownies are often a misnomer to me as they often turn out to be more like chocolate sheet cake than even the cakiest brownies.
These were more on the brownie side for once, albeit they still had a soft texture. But they weren't too cakey or delicate so they still lived up to their brownie moniker. Flavor wise they were pretty good, not quite with the chocolatey richness of my go-to brownie recipe but still decent brownies, especially if you need to use up leftover buttermilk.


No comments:

Post a Comment