Monday, December 4, 2023

Crumbl Cookies review #59 - Chocolate Swiss Roll and Nutter Butter Brownie Sandwich (tester)

Crumbl Cookies review #59: Chocolate Swiss Roll and Nutter Butter Brownie Sandwich (tester) - visited November 7 and 8, 2023 
Chocolate Swiss Roll
 Now (December 4), it’s National Cookie Day and what better way to acknowledge it than by talking about the cookie shop I’ve been going to most often? Although, in all honesty, I've been out of the country for a few weeks with no access to Crumbl and I just got back a few days ago. If I've been slacking off on the Crumbl Cookies reviews, it's because I've been slacking off on eating Crumbl Cookies. But it hasn't just been because I've been gone. Lately the flavors have either been ones I've already tried or ones I haven't been interested in. Plus I was still working down my freezer stash.
But I finally got back into the Crumbl game before I left and the week these two flavors came out. The Chocolate Swiss roll was a new one to the line up and the Nutter Butter Brownie Sandwich was a test cookie.
I got the Chocolate Swiss Roll first as I "just happened" to be driving by my local Crumbl (okay, I was at Costco and the Crumbl was across the street) and it wasn't test day yet. Since I only planned to get the one flavor plus the test cookie, I was fine getting a single cookie on separate days. 
The best part of Crumbl cookies is eating them warm and since I try not to eat more than 1/4 of a cookie a day (okay, sometimes half a cookie or two 1/4 cookies if I had a lot of workouts on tap that day), it's just as well to get them as a single purchase on separate days. That's more expensive in the long run but a more moderate and enjoyable cookie experience.
I don't normally get Crumbl's chocolate cookies as 90% of them are too rich for me. But I've found I like the brownie ones better and they don't send me into chocoholic overdrive. So I ended up liking the Chocolate Swiss Roll just fine. It's more like a soft brownie without the crusty edges. I liked the ganache on top as well. It was like a set chocolate glaze. The swirl of marshmallow frosting was a tad too sweet for me so I ended up scraping most of it off and just enjoying the cookie base. 
Glad I tried it. Don't think I need to get it again unless there was no other flavor I wanted to try but as chocolate cookies go, I preferred this one along with the chocolate cookie featuring Oreo.

The Nutter Butter Brownie Sandwich was the test cookie this particular week and I almost passed on it because peanut butter cookies are wasted on me. But it was a sandwich cookie which I tended to like and I figured the chocolate part would sweeten the deal. Plus I like to support test cookies as much as I can so my store can continue to be a tester store.
Nutter Butter Brownie Sandwich


I think I like the concept, the execution and the look of this cookie more than the actual taste of it. If you're a peanut butter chocolate lover, you'll think I'm crazy for being so lukewarm about it and that this cookie would make your top 5.
But I'm back to "I like the cookies but I'm just not a big peanut butter fan". Actually, I think I would've like the cookie sandwich and even the filling better without the peanut butter drizzle over the top cookie. I get they do the drizzle to make the sandwich look prettier and to amp up the peanut butter flavor but that's exactly why I didn't like it. The drizzle made the cookie messy when I broke it into pieces and I could've used less peanut butter flavor, not more. But that's a personal preference. For all you chocolate peanut butter lovers, this sandwich cookie is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment