Friday, June 26, 2020

Death by Chocolate (Bundt) Cake

Death by Chocolate (Bundt) Cake - made June 5, 2020 from Yummiest Food Recipes
I chose this recipe to make because - you guessed it - I was sending in military care packages. While I normally am snobby enough to look askance at cake mixes, the prevailing theory is those cake-mix-based baked goods will last longer in mailing, thanks to the preservatives in the mixes. That makes sense so I decided to try it out.

Y'all know I'm a baked goods snob so this isn't going to end up on my top 10 favorite recipes for cakes but it turned out better than I expected. Never mind that my expectations weren't very high! They had the soft cake texture you would expect from a cake mix cake and the oil and sour cream also ensured it would be moist. Although the original recipe makes this cake as a Bundt cake, since I was mailing it, I made it as 4 mini loaves for mailing and a cupcake for taste testing.
It isn't super-chocolaty since the chocolate flavor only comes from the chocolate pudding mix. If you want more of a chocolate punch, try adding a tablespoon or two of high quality cocoa powder and take out the same amount from the rest of the dry ingredients.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 3.4-ounce box vanilla instant pudding
1 3.4-ounce box chocolate instant pudding
4 large eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 cup sour cream
6 ounces chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine all the ingredients except the chocolate chips, beating on medium speed until combined.
  3. Pour half the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and sprinkle half of the chocolate chips. Pour in remaining batter and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips. 
  4. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in thickest part of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment