We now get firmly into the "GREAT" category of chocolate chip cookie recipes that I've tried. What put this recipe in the Great category is this cookie delivered on several of my key chocolate chip cookie categories: it stayed thick, it looked good, it had crisp edges when freshly baked and just barely lukewarm and it was chewy.
The cream cheese gave it a smooth texture, not only in appearance but also in texture. It was chewy but more creamy than chewy, probably also from the cream cheese. But don’t worry if you don’t like cream cheese (I typically don’t); you can’t taste the cream cheese in this one. It plays more of a role with the texture than the taste.
If you want to impress your friends and family with a “professional” looking cookie, this would be a good, I mean great, choice.
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until melted. Continue cooking until milk solids turn light brown and a nutty fragrance emerges. Set aside to cool slightly before refrigerating until a soft solid.
- Cream cooled browned butter with brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and mix until incorporated.
- Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour until just incorporated. Add chocolate chips and mix,
- Scoop 1/4 cup of dough and pat into a thick disc, about 1/2-inch thick. Repeat with remaining dough, cover, and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and space cookies evenly. Bake 11-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown and middles no longer look raw. Cool briefly on baking sheets then move to wire rack to cool completely.