Sunday, June 5, 2016

Perfect Soft and Chewy Snickerdoodles

Perfect Soft and Chewy Snickerdoodles - made dough May 6, 2016 from Beyond Frosting
I have a favorite snickerdoodle recipe so I don’t know why I try new ones since nothing has ever unseated my favorite nor is it likely to. Wait, that’s a lie. I do know why. I just like making snickerdoodles and even if a new recipe isn’t better than my favorite one, I have an excuse to try a new recipe because it might be better and even if it isn’t, I end up with a batch of snickerdoodles. Win win.

The downside is when the new recipe isn’t as good as my favorite, my hopes are dashed when I take the first bite. But it’s all relative because the minor (and frankly, expected) disappointment is offset by, you know, biting into a snickerdoodle.
These were good but spread more than my favorite recipe and were just a tad too sweet for me. Next time I’d probably add a little cinnamon to the cookie dough itself and more cinnamon to the rolling cinnamon-sugar mixture. I also ran out of cinnamon from Penzey’s and instead have been using Spice Island cinnamon I received as a gift. It’s good but I have to admit, the Penzey’s cinnamon is better and more cinnamon-y. When making snickerdoodles, having great cinnamon is key.

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
  1. Combine butter with sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
  2. Add eggs, vanilla and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium-low speed until just combined and dough forms.
  4. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Roll dough balls into mixture, coating completely. Evenly space dough balls on baking sheets.
  7. Lower temp to 350 degrees F and bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for several minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment