Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Cake Boss Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cake Boss Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough May 6, 2016, adapted from Key Ingredient
Another chocolate chip cookie recipe in the "Good" category. My bar is so high for chocolate chip cookies that the odds are really, really low of finding another standout one. Sadly, this one didn’t beat those odds. It was still a good cookie and had I been earlier in my chocolate chip cookie baking career, it might’ve gotten higher marks.

The edges browned and crisped up obligingly, the middles were chewy and this was a very tasty cookie. But this still spread too much for my taste and it didn’t stand out amongst the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of recipes I’ve tried over the years for chocolate chip cookies. I baked it from frozen dough but it still spread rather flat-ish. I baked at a higher temp on the convection setting in an attempt to “freeze” the cookie to a certain thickness before it spread too much. That only very partially worked. Still flatter than I would’ve liked.

The taste was good but it didn’t stand out for me. Although, when I brought these into work, I did get positive feedback from one of my coworkers in the form of, “did you bring in those M&M cookies? OMG, I had it for breakfast.” Accompanied by a reverent tone I reserve when speaking of cookie butter. So someone liked these a lot.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups semisweet or milk chocolate chips or chunks
3/4 cup M&M baking bits
  1. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  2. Cream butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until incorporated. 
  3. Add dry ingredients, in three batches, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Add chocolate chips or chunks and M&M baking bits. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover, and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space frozen dough balls on baking sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes, turning midway through baking time, or until just golden brown at the edges and middles are no longer shiny or raw. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment