1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, optional
1 heaping cup chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream egg, butter, sugars and vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl and add oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and optional salt; beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Add chocolate chips and mix briefly to combine. Do not overmix.
- Portion dough into golf-ball-size balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space frozen dough balls on baking sheets. Bake 11-12 minutes or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly underbaked, pale and glossy in the center. Do not overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving or removing to wire rack to cool completely.