3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
10 ounces/280 grams semisweet chocolate (no more than 55% cacao)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons brewed espresso (or 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso dissolved in 3 tablespoons boiling water)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups caramel, storebought or homemade
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Heat the butter, sugar and espresso together in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until melted and combined.
- Pour hot mixture over chocolate and let stand until chocolate is softened, about 1 minute. Add the vanilla and whisk until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Gradually beat in the eggs. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Spread half of mixture evenly in the prepared pan; bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, evenly spread the caramel over the bottom layer and top with remaining half of brownie batter, covering caramel completely. Return to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and cool completely.