Monday, August 11, 2014

Battle of the Texas Sheet Cakes

Vanilla vs Chocolate - made August 3, 2014
Last week I had a number of social occasions where I normally bring goodie bags – a couple of lunches, a couple of dinners and I was meeting a friend for hiking last weekend. But I don’t have the same amount of time to bake during the week that I used to before so I knew I had to do some prep ahead of time. That was easy enough in terms of making up cookie doughs to bake off at the last minute as well as baking brownies and cakes that could be cut into individual serving sizes, wrapped up and frozen. When I need a lot of baked goods but have a limited amount of time to make them, Texas Sheet Cakes are my go-to baked goods of choice.  Not only are they easy to make and, the way I make them, each recipe is good for a 9 x 13 pan, they can go a long way in filling multiple treat bags. This time around, I decided to do a battle of the Texas Sheet Cakes – Chocolate vs Vanilla. The handy part is I could make 1 recipe of the frosting and spread it over both cakes. I don’t like a lot of frosting so this was the perfect way to leverage a single recipe over two cakes in the time it takes to only make 1 frosting.

While I have several Texas Fudge Cakes I can play with and am agnostic about (they’re all good), this one for the Texas Vanilla Cake is my favorite of the vanilla ones I’ve tried. In fact, I like it so much that in this instance, to me, Vanilla won the battle of Chocolate vs Vanilla. And believe me, I don’t say that very often.

1 comment: