Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Bakery Style Peanut Butter Cookies

Bakery Style Peanut Butter Cookies - made dough July 19, 2014 from Crazy for Crust
Remember how I say I'm kind of indifferent to peanut butter? I like it well enough but usually with some chocolate thrown in and even so, I could take it or leave it. I like a good peanut butter cookie as much as the next person but it's not like I keep a Top 10 list of outstanding peanut  butter cookie recipes like I do for chocolate chip cookies.
Hmm, well, I might have to start that list now. And this one would take the #1 spot. It's thick, it's chewy, it tastes great and it's not cakey as long as you don't overbake it. The dough is easy to work with and the cookie is just good. If you have any peanut butter lovers in your life, make these cookies for them then see if they'll wash your car for you. I'm thinking of trying that strategy out on my nieces. They love peanut butter. And my car is looking awfully dusty in drought-stricken California. But I digress.
For a little extra touch and because I like to signal what kind of cookie it is, especially for people who might have peanut allergies, I cut up some peanut butter cups and arranged them strategically on top of each cookie dough ball so there's no doubt this is a peanut butter cookie. I prefer that approach than sprinkling peanuts on it or using chunky peanut butter. We know how I feel about nuts in (most) cookies. If you want added chocolate, you can substitute half of the peanut butter chips for chocolate chips.
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 package (about 1 2/3 cups) peanut butter chips

1/2 cup peanut butter cups, chopped into halves and quarters
  1. Cream butter, peanut butter, and both sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg, vanilla, milk, baking soda, and salt and mix until combined. Slowly add flour and mix until dough just comes together. Stir in Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips. 
  2. Scoop the dough into golf-ball size dough balls, press cut-up peanut butter cups randomly on the outside of each dough ball (embed into dough until they adhere but don't bury them completely) and chill for at least 4 hours. 
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Place cookie dough balls evenly spaced apart on the prepared cookies sheets. Bake 11-14 minutes until the bottoms start to brown. Cool about 5 minutes and then remove from cookie sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment