Saturday, September 21, 2013

Thick and Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thick and Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough September 11, 2013, recipe adapted from Averie Cooks
Just like I always associate my friend Todd with chocolate chip cookies, i.e. every time I meet up with Todd, I test out a new chocolate chip cookie recipe on him, my friend Rick is all about oatmeal chocolate chip as his favorite cookie. So I feel free to test out new recipes of his favorite cookie on him whenever we meet.  It helps that we're in agreement that oatmeal cookies should not have raisins but chocolate chips instead.  It also helps that, according to Rick, there's no wrong way to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  So how can I not use him as a taste tester for that kind of cookie?
Rick was going to be in town and threw together a dinner of our former colleagues so it was a perfect time to test out a new recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. It saves me the bother of posting a picture of them on my facebook page, tagging him in the picture and captioning it with "bummer, look what I made that you're not here to eat."  I know, I'm mean like that. Don't worry, Rick gives back as good as he gets, including blatantly volunteering me to bake for everyone at the dinner when he was asking who could attend.  Good thing it was something I was going to do anyway....
Unlike with chocolate chip cookies, I don't really have any favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookie go-to recipes.  There are a few I liked when I made them and even 1 or 2 that stand out but nothing that says, "these are IT". So I experiment with new recipes without compunction.  However, there is a blog I like going to when I want good cookies that don't spread, taste good and are easy to make.  Not to mention chock full of drool-worthy pictures and that's Averie's blog (click on link above in title). I chose this one for the Rick taste test and it's another keeper.  As advertised, the cookies stay thick and don't spread a lot in baking and the cinnamon and the chocolate chips pair well together.  The edges aren't crisp once the cookies cool but the entire cookie is soft and chewy. It's possible they stay moist and soft as the days go by but I wouldn't know.  I gave them away at our dinner the day after I made them and a couple of people, including Rick, ate them in front of me after dinner so chances were high they weren't going to find out how long the cookies stay moist either.

1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole rolled old-fashioned oats (not quick cook)
2 teaspoons+ ground cinnamon, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional and to taste
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour (or, 1 cup minus two tablespoons)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (or more if desired)
  1. To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed to cream ingredients until very light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the oats, cinnamon, baking soda, optional salt, and beat to incorporate, about 1 minute. Add the flour and beat to just incorporate, about 30 seconds. Add the chocolate chips and beat momentarily to incorporate. Transfer mixture to an airtight container or cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for at least two hours, up to 5 days. If you're going to chill these cookies longer than a couple of hours, portion into dough into golf-sized cookie balls first then freeze.  Do not bake these cookies with dough that has not been properly chilled because they will spread.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Place dough balls on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (maximum of 8 per sheet). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are set and tops have just set, even if slightly undercooked in the center, as cookies will firm up as they cool. It's a little tricky to judge doneness because of all the oats, but I suggest the lower end of the baking range and baking for 10 minutes for soft and chewy cookies. For crunchier cookies, extend baking time by 1 to 2 minutes, but take care not to overbake or they will be hard.
  3. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Alternatively, unbaked dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.

1 comment:

  1. Now these look scrummy, and with the oats, brown sugar and Cinnamon I think its very fitting for the autumn season. Can't wait to try this, but as I come from the UK ill have to dig out my measuring cups from the depths of the cupboard. ha ha

    ReplyDelete