Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Cookies

Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Cookies - made dough September 6, 2014, recipe modified from Whole and Heavenly Oven
I loved the picture of these from Whole and Heavenly Oven and that's usually all it takes to get me to try a new recipe. I made a couple of modifications though. I didn't have coconut sugar and had never heard of it so I used brown sugar which her blog says is acceptable. I also didn't want to use all whole wheat flour as I was afraid that might make the cookies too heavy so I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Despite the amount of both flours plus the cocoa powder, the dough was a little softer than I expected. Still, it handled well and the cookies didn't spread much. It did have a wholesome sort of flavor and texture from the whole wheat flour so it's not as smoothly chewy as an all all-purpose flour cookie would be but this is still a good chocolate cookie. I went a bit overboard with sticking chocolate chips all over each dough ball before I baked the cookies but hey, you can't have too many chocolate chips.

1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups white whole wheat flour (I substituted 1 cup of all-purpose flour for 1 cup of wheat flour)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Place butter and sugar in a large bowl. With a handheld electric mixer, beat on medium speed until creamy. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add to liquid mixture, beating on medium speed until mixture forms a dough. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Shape dough into 1-in balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly and press additional chocolate chips on top if desired.
  5. Bake cookies at 350F 8-9 minutes (cookies will be very soft) Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment