½ cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
2½ – 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon ginger
cinnamon sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9×9 or 8×8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with an electric hand mixer), cream together butter and sugar. Add in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat until creamy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until combined. Press dough into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While bars are cooling, prepare frosting. Beat together butter and confectioner’s sugar. Add in pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Beat until creamy. If more confectioner’s sugar is needed, add 2 tablespoons at a time up to another ½ cup.
- Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut into pieces.