Sprinkles so I could compare it to a copycat recipe I was making later the same day? Well, this is the recipe and above is one of the cupcakes I made from it. No, don't get excited that I made an exact copycat of it. At first glance what might make it appear to be exactly like Sprinkles is the iconic dot on top. Uh, that's actually from the Sprinkles cupcake I bought earlier. See, told you it was iconic.
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, firm but not cold
1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup salted butter or 1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
6 ounces cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda, set aside. In a separate large mixing bowl, with an electric hand mixer on medium speed, whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time stirring after each addition. Add red food coloring and vanilla extract and mix until combine. In a small mixing bowl (or in the measuring cup you used to measure milk), combine milk and 1 tsp vinegar.
- Add milk mixture and flour mixture to cupcake mixture, alternating in two separate batches, mixing until combine after each addition. Divide batter evenly among 15 paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven 18-21 minutes until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool about 2 minutes in muffin tin, then transfer to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to an airtight container to cool completely (this just helps them retain more moisture). Once cooled completely, spread generously with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, using and electric mixer, whip together butter and cream cheese until pale and fluffy (about 1 minute on high speed, then 3-4 minutes on medium high speed). Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. If doing optional infamous Sprinkles Cupcakes dot on top then scoop out a few tablespoons frosting into two separate bowls and tint with food coloring (lots of red in the one and barely any blue in the other). Spread a small circle of red on top followed by a small light blue, use a toothpick to spread if needed (it helped me get a more circular shape around the edges with its finer point).