1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups white whole wheat flour (I substituted 1 cup of all-purpose flour for 1 cup of wheat flour)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in a large bowl. With a handheld electric mixer, beat on medium speed until creamy. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add to liquid mixture, beating on medium speed until mixture forms a dough. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 1-in balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly and press additional chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake cookies at 350F 8-9 minutes (cookies will be very soft) Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.