Monday, May 29, 2023

Chocolate Coconut Blondies from Handle the Heat

Chocolate Coconut Blondies - made May 20, 2023 from Handle the Heat 
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups (350 grams) light brown sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (254 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (80 grams) sweetened shredded coconut
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar, stirring together until smooth. Add eggs, egg yolk and vanilla; stir until combined. Stir in the salt and flour until combined. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut and 6 ounces of the chocolate chunks.
  3. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining coconut and chocolate chunks over the top, pressing gently into the batter. Bake for 40 minutes or until set but still gooey. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again: in my experience, most people either really love coconut or really hate it. To date, I haven't met anyone who says "Coconut? Meh, I'm indifferent." Nope. There are typically strong feelings about coconut. 
I'm in the camp that loves coconut and bake with it often. And fortunately for me, I found this recipe and thought it was superb.
That's a little superlative for a blondie but it genuinely was that good. These bars baked up nice and thick and smelled so good baking in the oven. At first I was afraid I had overbaked it as I baked it for 50 minutes, not 40 that the recipe guided to and the coconut on top was getting really brown.
But it turns out that it wasn't overbaked. It wasn't too underbaked either and was actually just right. Let it cool completely first so you get that fudge-like texture. The coconut gives it a great chewiness and the semisweet chocolate cuts some of the sweetness and adds flavor. I'll definitely making this one again, especially for care packages as they're sturdy enough to ship well.



No comments:

Post a Comment