Thursday, April 13, 2023

Dominique Ansel Bakery, Las Vegas - Part 2 (Thanksgiving Bourbon Pecan Pie)

Dominique Ansel Bakery, Las Vegas - Part 2, Thanksgiving Bourbon Pecan Pie, picked up November 20, 2022
Look at that pie - is it a thing of beauty or what? Even if I knew how to successfully make a good pie (I don't), I couldn't have made this. I follow Dominique Ansel on Instagram and every November, he has pie night in the run up to Thanksgiving. The pies always look amazing so I was glad I had the opportunity to finally try one this (past) year. 
He offered three flavors at his Las Vegas bakery: pumpkin, salted caramel apple and bourbon pecan pie. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie so I had to choose between the other two. Or thought I had to choose. I was leaning towards the apple as apple pie is my favorite but I was getting this not for Thanksgiving but for my niece's birthday and I left the choice up to her. She chose the pecan pie. I briefly thought about getting both the pecan and apple but the price per pie was a bit steep, even with my YOLO mentality and, more importantly, between me, my mom, my sister, my niece and her boyfriend, I didn't think we could finish 2 pies while they were still fresh. So just the pecan pie it was.

Just one bite was enough to convince me this was not a bad choice. At all. It was feckin' delicious. You can't really taste the bourbon for anyone who's not alcohol-inclined (me, I don't drink). The caramelized pecans on top weren't just for looks but also contributed to the crisp-sweet and crunchy texture of excellent pecans.
Sometimes I'm leery of pecan pies because some of them have a gelatinous filling and only have pecans on top. Not so with this one as you can see from the pictures. Crust and caramelized pecans is what you get and it was amazing. Yes, it was worth the lofty price. The crust was more of a pate brisee than the flaky crust of a more traditional pie, almost like a shortbread. That, too, was delicious. Overall, so much better than birthday cake and I'm glad my niece chose this one. 
If you ever have a chance to get a Dominique Ansel pie, I advise pre-ordering and doing it early as they do sell out. Trust me, you don't want to miss out.

No comments:

Post a Comment