Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Crumbl copycat - Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cookie Madness

It's National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! And by a not-that-strange coincidence, I have a chocolate chip cookie post to put up. Not only that but it's a new favorite and given how many chocolate chip recipes I've tried, that's saying something. Remember my last two favorite Crumbl copycats that I didn't really consider that close to the genuine Crumbl cookie but were good nonetheless? There was the copycat recipe from Cooking with Karli and the top contender from my compilation, the version from Salt & Baker

I might have to eat my words (and these cookies) as I think this copycat version from Cookie Madness came pretty darn close to Crumbl's version in terms of the texture. It doesn't look quite the same as the genuine Crumbl cookie in that the one I made wasn't of uniform thickness but I think that was more due to how I made it than the recipe itself.
This is the inside of the cookie while it was still warm enough to look gooey. I know people will think it's "raw" but if you let it cool completely, the texture does set and instead of being too gooey/mushy raw cookie dough, it becomes the perfect soft texture of a Crumbl cookie.

I have to admit, I like this even better than my previous favorite of Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies which had been the recipe I'd been using when I (temporarily) stopped trying out different recipes.

The flavors were equally good but what gave this the edge for me above all the others is the texture. There's a lightness to the crispness of the edges but they weren't too crispy and the rest of the cookie had more of that uniform soft but dense and chewy texture I liked in the Crumbl cookie. Mad props to Cookie Madness for an amazing cookie.

2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
15 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (100 grams)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar (80 grams)
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Guittard milk chocolate chips plus more reserved for pressing onto baked cookies
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar; beat until well combined. Add egg and vanilla; mix to combine.
  3. Add dry ingredients in two additions, mixing until just combined after each addition. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to keep dough even textured. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Portion dough into 4-6 ounce dough balls and flatten slightly. Cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space thick dough discs. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and middles no longer look raw. Remove from oven and gently press reserved chocolate chips on top of hot cookies (use as many as you like). Let rest on baking sheets for several minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Just found this post. You made my day! It's hard to make exact replicas, but I had a fun time getting as close as possible. Interesting how little tiny changes in ingredients (even brands) and oven temps and times change the final result. Thank you for trying the recipe :).

    ReplyDelete