Thursday, August 12, 2021

Banana Blondies

Banana Blondies - made July 31, 2021 from Cookies and Cups 
I'm one of those people who buy a bunch of bananas in amounts that are more than I can eat before the remaining ones turn brown/black/overripe. Yes, I don't just see bananas as a fruit snack but as future banana baked goods. I don't always bake with them as soon as they're overripe and ready but once they are, I peel them, put the bananas in a ziploc bag and put the bag in the freezer. Over time I tend to amass a bunch of overripe mushy bananas in the freezer. Then once I find some good recipes beyond the banana bread everyone keeps asking me for, I thaw the bananas and bake away. 
I'd already used some for the banana cake recipe #17 and I was still baking for the food donation. This seemed like a good one to try.
You can tell from the pictures that I underbaked this. I was fooled by the "clean" toothpick test and should've timed it better. If this had been chocolate, it would've been fudge. It could've used a few more minutes in the oven for a less dense texture but my underbaking tendencies didn't hurt the blondie at all. The texture was dense but I liked that. The flavor was also great and the brown sugar frosting was a perfect touch. Definitely a keeper and a good use of overripe bananas.
Blondies
1/2 cup butter, melted and, if desired, browned
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup mashed banana

Brown Sugar Frosting
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup confectioners' sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8" baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine melted butter and brown sugar, mixing until well combined. Add egg and vanilla; mix until incorporated.
  3. Stir in salt, flour and banana, mixing until batter is smooth and even textured. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
  4. Brown Sugar Frosting: in a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and milk; stir until mixture comes just to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in powdered sugar with a whisk. Spread over blondies and allow frosting to set. Cool completely before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment