Sunday, August 1, 2021

Porto's Bakery - (online) bakery review

Porto's Bakery - ordered March 28, 2021, received April 9, 2021
I'm shamefully late in posting this as I ordered this back in March and got it in April. But trust me, I still remember the order as it was just that good.

I'd heard about Porto's before, mainly from my cousins and friends in Southern California where they've actually gone to a brick and mortar Porto's. Cheese rolls seemed to be the popular item. I personally am not big on cheese so I felt no particular rush to join the Porto's bandwagon. That turned out to be a foolish outlook.
Unbaked cheese rolls $16.99 for a dozen

In an effort to support small businesses as much as possible, and to reward myself for continuing to work when I was trying to be retired (if you notice the dates on when I ordered this, for back story, I thought I was ending my contractor engagement at work on March 31 but got persuaded otherwise - enter the Porto's order to make it up to myself, lol), I placed an order.

The beauty and sheer brilliance of Porto's online ordering process is it tells you how much more you can order for the same shipping cost. That shipping cost is surprisingly reasonable at $9.99 for 4 items. I don't know if it would've gone higher had I added a 5th item as I figured 4 things were more than enough for 1 person, even if that person eats a lot. *cough* *looks in mirror*

Had to get the cheese rolls, of course. You'll see the other items I ordered through the pictures. But first let's talk about the cheese rolls. Namely....OMG, where have these been all my life and why didn't I get on this bandwagon sooner???
These things were freaking delicious. In my experience, few foods live up to their online hype. This one does. And this is coming from "I'm not really a cheese person". It's hard to describe why I like these so much. Could be the flaky roll itself with its large sugar crystals adding to the sweet crispness and flakiness. I even liked the mildly sweet cheese filling. YUM.

$16.99 for a dozen

The ham croquettes were to satisfy the savory end of my taste buds. It's hard to go wrong with ham and cheese in any rendition. In case you haven't noticed from the pictures, the orders are shipped in an insulated container with dry ice to keep them cold and do arrive reasonably frozen so they can go from the box to your freezer if you're not planning to bake them immediately. (But you might want to bake some of them immediately because cheese rolls....)

The ham and cheese croquettes were good as well and like everything else in my order, they come frozen in a box with a card detailing the instructions on how to bake them. Porto's even thoughtfully provides parchment paper to line your baking sheets with for baking each product.

These were good but I have to admit, a little more typical, and not the epic greatness of the cheese roll.


Besitos $16.99 for 15 pieces

If I'd had to take a bet, I thought the Besitos or Kiss Cookies filled with dulce de leche would've been my next favorite. They were good, a nice shortbread-butter cookie shaped like an oversized "kiss" with dulce de leche stuffed inside.



If you've ever watched the movie "Chocolat", these might remind you of the "Nipples of Venus" confection from the book/movie. Although these seem a little closer to the "nipples" part.
Get past that image, lol. This was a good cookie, no matter what it looks like. Porto's recommends dusting it with powdered sugar before serving. I tried it both ways and actually prefer it plain.



The fourth and final item I ordered was the chocolate twist.
Remember above when I said the cheese roll was epic and I wish I'd discovered it earlier? Double that enthusiasm to gauge my reaction to the chocolate twist. I thought the besitos would be my second favorite but the cheese roll got bumped down to second place.
Unbaked chocolate twist $16.99 for 8 (large) pieces

Because the chocolate twist was unexpectedly my favorite of the 4 items I ordered. The instructions say to brush it with egg wash before baking. That helps with the browning.

This was seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten from an online bakery order. Sure, it helps that you bake it in your own oven and can enjoy it hot/warm and flaky. But it was still extremely delicious. Like I want to order it again and again delicious. Flaky, buttery with the right amount and flavor of the filling studded with mini chocolate chips. I'd order 20 more if I didn't want to re-gain the 11 pounds I'd lost during quarantine. But don't think I haven't considered it.
So if you have a little extra budget to spare, want delicious pre-made baked goods you bake yourself for optimal freshness and want to support a small business, Porto's knocks it out of the park on all cylinders. Make sure you get the cheese rolls and the chocolate twists at a minimum and try their other offerings as well. I intend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment