Saturday, July 10, 2021

Homemade Biscoff Cookies

Homemade Biscoff Cookies - made dough June 26, 2021 from Kleinworth & Co
If you like all things cookie butter, I've got another winner for you. Cookie butter is made from Biscoff or cookie butter cookies. I'm sure there are other ingredients in there but that's the crux of it. 
I love both Biscoff cookies and cookie butter itself. I try not to buy the Lotus Biscoff cookies or Trader Joe's version of Speculoos cookies because - wait for it - I would eat it. A lot of it if I could. 
But I couldn't pass up a chance to make this homemade version of it. The original blog offered a simple version of the cookies: make dough, roll out, cut out, bake.
I went one step extra because...why not? I rolled them out, cut them out then for some of them, used a smaller cookie cutter to put a design in the middle because I had already planned to make these as sandwich cookies and wanted the filling to be visible in the center. Then, still being extra, I drizzled a few of them with melted cookie butter for a little more cookie butter goodness.

The only other thing I did differently from the original recipe was leave out the allspice simply because I didn't have any. I had all the other spices though and the cookie didn't suffer from the omission of the allspice (I don't think) because it really did taste like a Biscoff cookie/ Not quite as crunchy in texture but the flavor was definitely there.


Overall this was a great cookie. You can keep them plain or fancy them up like I did. Either way you can't go wrong because cookie butter....
1 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (I didn't have any so I left it out)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until well combined and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until just combined.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, ground cloves, salt and baking soda. Add to butter mixture in two additions, mixing briefly after each addition until just combined.
  3. Divide dough in half, place each half on a large piece of parchment paper, place another piece of parchment paper over it and roll out to 1/4" thickness. Chill for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. When chilled, remove from refrigerator and cut into desired shapes. Cover and chill or freeze for another 30 minutes or longer.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space cutout cookies on prepared sheets. Bake for 13-16 minutes or until cookies are set and show tiny fissures around the edges. Let rest on baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Cookies will crisp up as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment