Friday, July 9, 2021

Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies from 5 Boys Baker

Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough July 1, 2021 from 5 Boys Baker
I've mentioned before that during the hot summer months when temps in the places I'm sending care packages to as a volunteer for Soldiers Angels get to triple digits - and I'm not talking low 100s but in the 115-120+ range - that the angel baker volunteers are recommended to send baked goods made with shortening  rather than butter to help with survival chances of making it through the heat en route to their final destination. 

Now you know that kills my butter-loving soul, right? Even with my constant inner voice reminding me "it's not about you", I still cringe when I bake with shortening instead of butter. It's hard, people. The struggle is real.

So I was pleased to find this recipe and I consider it a compromise since it's made half with butter and half with shortening. I was even more pleased that it really is an amazing chocolate chip cookie as the original blog advertised.
The shortening adds to the airy crispness of the cookie and the butter flavor still comes through to make it an excellent cookie. I'm keeping this for summer months baking.

1 cup shortening
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 extra large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together shortening, butter, granulated and brown sugar until well combined and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until incorporated.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low, add to butter mixture in three additions, mixing after each addition until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space frozen dough balls. Bake 8 - 11 minutes or until the edges are set and the middles just barely no longer look raw. Remove from oven and let rest on cookie sheets for several minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment