Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Penne Alla Vodka with Chicken

Penne Alla Vodka with Chicken - made April 20, 2019 from The Cozy Cook
It's well known among my friends that I don't drink. Not from any particular moral or religious reasons (although they conveniently align) but mostly because I've never developed a taste for alcohol. Never cared for the taste or smell so it's been easy to be the automatic designated driver at social gatherings. When people don't know I don't drink and give me wine, I promptly give it away or share it with my drinking friends.
So it's a puzzle, why, when I don't imbibe, I've been hosting a tall bottle of vodka in my pantry for many years, likely through several moves. It's been so long since I've bought it that I can't even remember why I bought it. I suspect it was because I needed it once to try a baking recipe but apparently it couldn't have been that good because I neither remember it or seem to have made it again as the vodka bottle was nearly full.

I'd been reading a decluttering book that encourages you to clean out your pantry (as well as the rest of the house) by getting rid of those "specialty ingredients" you never use. Couldn't agree more with that philosophy and, as I'm looking to move again in a couple of months, saw no sense in moving a tall bottle of vodka I hadn't opened or used in at least 10 years. (Does alcohol expire? Asking for a friend."
But when I made to empty the bottle down the kitchen sink, the thrifty side of my nature warred with my decluttering soul. It seemed like such a waste to get rid of it. Not that I planned to actually drink any of it but surely I could find some use for it. Hello, pinterest, my friend, let's look for vodka sauce recipes. Mostly because that's the only thing I could think of that uses vodka which wouldn't involve drinking it.
Turns out there are a number of vodka sauce recipes out there. I went with this one since it seemed easy. Easy because the main ingredients involved opening a can and a jar. I can do that. Since I'm not a cook, I had hardly any of the ingredients on hand except the vodka. One quick trip to Trader Joe's and I was all set.
This turned out surprisingly well. Which, for me, meant I couldn't taste the vodka (seriously, maybe it really did expire and was nothing more than flat liquor?). The sauce came out creamy and for once, I resisted the urge to add more pasta than the recipe called for as at first it looked like too much sauce. Fortunately, the Trader Joe's package of penne only contains 1 pound so I couldn't have added more pasta anyway as I didn't have more than that one package. Not the healthiest thing I've made, alcohol aside, thanks to the heavy cream and cheese, but it's a nice, easy pasta dish. I might even make this again "for company". I still have some vodka left in that tall bottle and I refuse to move it a 4th or 5th time.
1 pound penne
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 boneless/skinless chicken breast
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter, separated
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic
1 cup vodka
14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
24 ounces marinara sauce
1 cup heavy cream
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
fresh parsley, for garnish
  1. Prepare the penne according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
  3. Butterfly the chicken breast and cut the seam to create 2 thinner slices, each about an inch thick. Season the chicken with desired amounts of salt and pepper.
  4. Carefully lower the chicken into the preheated skillet and leave it untouched for several minutes to sear.
  5. Once the chicken begins to release a bit from the bottom of the pan, it's ready to flip. Rotate the oil around in the pan to help it loosen if needed. Flip and decrease heat slightly; sear the other side.
  6. Once done, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting up. Leave oil and chicken remnants in the pan for added flavor for the sauce.
  7. In the same pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and use a spatula to release some of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
  8. Add the diced onion and cook until softened and begins to caramelize. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
  9. Add the vodka to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes.
  10. Reduce the heat to low and add the diced tomatoes and marinara sauce. Stir in the heavy cream.
  11. Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and stir into the sauce.
  12. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and add the final tablespoon butter. Add in the pasta and stir until penne is evenly covered.
  13. Top with Parmesan and chopped parsley; serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment