Thursday, November 1, 2018

Nutella Swirl Brownies

Nutella Swirl Brownies - made October 7, 2018 from Rock Recipes
Hmm, so, normally I would be in raptures with even the concept of a Nuella swirl brownie. Because it would be as the name implied, right? Brownies made with Nutella mixed into the batter itself and with even more Nutella swirled into the batter so that when the brownie baked, you would get large swaths of Nutella intermingled with dense, fudgy brownies.

Yeah, that was the vision. My execution, however, left something to be desired. For one thing, as you all know by now, I always use Pernigotti cocoa which has a dark chocolate flavor that pretty much overpowers the Nutella flavor and the Nutella didn’t stand a chance being mixed into the brownie batter. That would’ve been okay because you still had the swirl-in Nutella element going on. Except I don’t think I dolloped enough because I didn’t have swaths of Nutella. More like a sprinkle here and there.
But my main sin with this brownie is it seems like I overbaked it. I didn’t think I had because the toothpick test kept yielding raw batter but it was in there for so long that some of the Nutella “swirl” looked like it burned. What the heck? They weren’t dry but you can tell from the pictures that they’re not as moist-fudgy-dense as I normally prefer my brownies. I suggest checking these at the 30-minute mark, if not sooner, then erring on the side of caution and taking them out before 40 minutes, depending on your oven. 
1 cup butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup Nutella
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup Nutella, for swirling
  1. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar to dissolve. Cool slightly before adding the Nutella, whisking until smooth and combined. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, mixing until just combined.
  3. Sift together the cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter-egg mixture and mix until smooth. Fold in the flour and chocolate chips.
  4. Spread batter evenly into the pan and swirl in the remaining 1/3 cup Nutella. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely before cutting and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment