Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Big Chewy Snickerdoodles

Big Chewy Snickerdoodles - made November 11, 2018 from Landeelu
I love me a good snickerdoodle and this is a good snickerdoodle. As always, I underbaked it to get the dense, moist texture that I wanted. If you bake snickerdoodles fully, they'll be cakey. If you overbake them, like any cookie, they'll be dry. And have a tough texture.
I care for neither dry nor tough, hence my underbaking tendencies. Unbaking gives them a texture that, had these been chocolate, could've been described as "fudgy".
Snickerdoodles also give me another chance to plug Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon. It's the only cinnamon I'll now bake with; it's that good. While I normally buy spices in as small an amount as possible since I don't tend to cook with them often, Penzey's cinnamon is one of the few I buy in the half-cup jar size since I do bake with it often enough to go through that size bottle before it gets old.
These had a light, airy texture at the edges which were crisp. But the middles were soft and dense; perfect. Another good snickerdoodle recipe in the books.
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. Cream butter and 2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; mix until combined.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients in 3 additions, mixing after each until just combined. Do not overbeat.
  3. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  5. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Roll dough balls into cinnamon-sugar mixture, coating completely. Evenly space on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until middles no longer look raw. Do not overbake.
  6. Cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment