Saturday, October 27, 2018

Oatmeal Cookies - Levain Bakery copycat

Oatmeal Cookies - Levain Bakery copycat - made dough September 8, 2018 from Fran's Favs

My friend Rick reminded me that I haven’t mailed him oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in awhile. He was right. So I broke out this recipe that I’ve been meaning to try for some time.

I don’t have a standby oatmeal cookie recipe and I don’t try new recipes for them that often. Unlike Rick, I’m not a huge fan of oatmeal cookies. They tend to be pretty filling, maybe a little too filling because I like my cookies to be chubby and have some heft. Add oatmeal and I get hefty all right. Me and the cookie.

These cookies didn’t spread very much and they were supposed to be Levain Bakery-esque so I made them big. Each cookie was a behemoth. Like a scone version of a cookie. I ended up eating two halves on two separate days because they were a little filling and . They were pretty good but, not being a big oatmeal cookie fan, I don’t know if I’ll remember them a month from now and I’ll probably keep searching for more oatmeal cookie recipes to try.
Oh and don’t tell Rick but I never was able to get to the post office so I didn’t mail him these. I gave them away at work instead. Whoops.
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
1 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted, optional
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips
  1. In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar and brown sugar just until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until just incorporated.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, if using. Add in the oats and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet batter, mixing until just combined. Fold in walnuts and raisins or chocolate chips.
  3. Divide dough into 12 portions, each weighing 4 ounces. Form into large balls and cover and chill for several hours or overnight. 
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes then reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake for another 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden and middles no longer look shiny or raw. 

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of cream cheese in cookie dough. I have to try these and I will definitely take them to the office. They will be great with coffee. Thanks for sharing (except with Rick).

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete