4 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice from about 4 lemons
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
1/3 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Place an oven rack in upper-middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8" square baking dish with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Place the dish in a rimmed sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar with one egg until the mixture is very light, about one minute.
- Whisk in the second egg for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the third and fourth eggs for 15 seconds each.
- Gently whisk in lemon juice, milk, butter, lemon zest and salt.
- Sift the cake flour and the baking powder over the mixture, then gently whisk until combined.
- Immediately pour into the pan and set in the oven. Fill the sheet pan with about 1/2-inch of water.
- Bake until the pudding is just set, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the water bath and let it cool on a wire rack until just warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm, room temperature or chilled.