We're getting into warm weather and picnic season so it's picnic cake time. Actually, I'd be willing to eat this cake at any time of the year. It was really good with the perfect pound cake texture. Think of it as a vanilla cake lightly flavored with brown sugar. Then pour a brown sugar caramel icing over it. Despite my preference for cake more than frosting, I have to admit, it was the frosting that made this cake. It was almost like penuche but not as sweet and not as grainy. It was just ridiculously good and perfectly complemented the cake. You want to pour the icing over it while it's still warm as it sets rather quickly. I didn't use all of the icing in the recipe since I didn't want to make a thick layer of it but I reserved it for some pecan praline cookies I made later (to follow in a future blog post).
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Generously grease a 10-cup Bundt pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Begin and end with flour mixture. Mix just until combined and batter is smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Then, transfer to a wire rack, frost and let cool completely.
- Combine brown sugar, condensed milk, corn syrup and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 4-5 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla and stir until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Pour desired amount over cake. Store any remaining sauce in refrigerator.