Friday, May 31, 2019

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Homemade Taco Seasoning - made May 21, 2019 from Whole New Mom
Before I discovered Penzey's, I'm not sure it would've ever occurred to me that you can make your own taco seasoning. Matter of fact, I've even bought ready-made Taco seasoning from Penzey's whenever I wanted tacos. But - hello - taco seasoning is made up of individual seasonings so it follows that you can make it "from scratch". Talk about your duh moment.
I didn't have any Penzey's Taco Seasoning but had a hankering for tacos after I'd bought some low-carb tortillas and ground beef. It's a point of stubbornness that I only want to buy my spices from Penzey's (no, I'm not affiliated with them, I just love their spices and believe in supporting the company) so it was unthinkable for me to run to the grocery store and buy taco seasoning that didn't have a Penzey's label on it.

So pinterest to the rescue again when I searched for homemade taco seasoning recipes. This one from Whole New Mom won hands down as I had all but one of the ingredients for it. When does that ever happen? I tend to only buy spices after I have a specific recipe to use it for; otherwise I don't cook enough to be sure I'd actually use it. The only thing I didn't have was the red pepper flakes but I figure that'd be all right since I had everything else.
Obviously, this is the easiest recipe to date since it's literally just measuring spices and mixing them in a small bowl. Then - results - homemade taco seasoning. This turned out a bit spicy for my bland taste buds but did have good flavor. For me, next time, I'd probably cut back a little on the pepper and it was still okay to skip the red pepper flakes. Otherwise, hey, I can now "make" taco seasoning.
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Store in a tightly closed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment