Sunday, April 30, 2017

Deep Dish Fudge Brownies

Deep Dish Fudge Brownies - made April 8, 2017 from Brownies and Blondies by Lisa Yockelson
Since I had resigned myself to making only plain brownies for my niece’s fundraising (she met her original goal to raise $1000 then pushed herself to raise $2000 so I’m still baking away), I thought it would be a good time to revisit my plethora of baking books and start pulling out random brownie recipes from them. If I can’t add “stuff” to the brownies, at least I can test out more recipes from the books I already have.

This was from a little-known, looks-to-be-out-of-print book, also by Lisa Yockelson. I honestly don’t remember how I acquired it; it’s been so long. Possibly in one of those little mom-and-pop used bookstores. I think it’s out of print, not just because it’s old, but also because some of the recipes have been reprinted in newer books.

It’s a good basic brownie recipe, not difficult to make, and bakes into a nice plain brownie. It isn’t as dense as her Truffled Walnut Brownies so if you want something a little lighter in texture but still not cakey, this is a good one to use. And of course, if you’re not under the restrictions I am, feel free to dress it up with frosting, Nutella swirls, caramel dollops, candy add-ins and the like. 
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 extra-large or large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9" x 9" square baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Whisk together all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  3. Whisk the melted butter and melted chocolate in a bowl. Beat in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Add in dry ingredients and stir to form a batter.
  4. Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spread batter evenly. Bake for 30 to 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
  5. Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting and serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment