1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into tablespoons
3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until pea-size pieces.
- Add the buttermilk all at once and form into a ball
- Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface, into a 6 x 9" rectangle. Cut the rectangle into thirds.
- Stack each third on top of one another and roll the dough into a 6 x 9" rectangle again.
- Using a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" biscuit rutter, cut 9 biscuits and place them on a silicone-lined or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.